Texas DPS Approved "LTC" License to Carry Complete Handgun Course.
LTC / CHL Class Curriculum
Thank you for inquiring about or seeking additional information about the Texas License to Carry a Handgun LTC (formerly known as Concealed Handgun License CHL) course. Please read about the Texas mandated LTC curriculum. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have additional questions.
This course provides the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) required classroom training and firearm qualification students need in order to obtain a Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC).
To train and qualify a student to submit application to the Texas Handgun Licensing Program. Upon completion, students will have the following materials required to submit their application:
- Instructor certification for completed classroom curriculum.
- Instructor certification for completed handgun qualification test.
Cris Hinojosa is a certified* LTC instructor in the State of Texas and has many years of experience training others in the proper safety and use of firearms. He is an NRA Instructor. The professionally developed LTC curriculum uses multiple training techniques and aides in order to help students learn the material and retain the content.
- Basic proficiency with a handgun
- LTC Prep Course
LTC courses are not intended to train students how to shoot a handgun. The qualification test portion of the course is required by the State of Texas in order to demonstrate your ability to safely and properly handle and shoot a handgun.
* If students take our LTC Prep Course it will include a Scored and Graded LTC Range Qualification to submit to DPS for your LTC. The student will then only need the required class time to complete their LTC requirements.
- 4 to 6 hours of combined classroom instruction and handgun qualification testing.
Mandatory Range Equipment to Qualify
Come range ready with:
- Semi-automatic handgun or revolver (unloaded and in a box) of any caliber in good repair and have no modifications that will make the handgun less safe. STUDENTS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO BRING WEAPON or AMMUNITION into the CLASSROOM. LEAVE IT AT OUR COUNTER OR IN YOUR VEHICLE. (available to rent)
- Baseball cap
- Safety glasses
- Ear protection that covers your ears
- Footwear that entirely covers both feet
- 50 rounds of commercially produced ammunition
NO RELOADED, HAND LOADED, or SURPLUS AMMUNITION ALLOWED.
Use commercial ammunition only.
Range Qualification Test Requirements (as mandated by the Texas DPS)
- Total of 50 rounds fired at a B-27 target (45" high x 24" wide)
- Score of 175 out of 250 possible points (70 percentile) required to pass
- Shooting stance from the ready position where firearm is already in a position to fire
3 Yard Line - 20 Rounds
7 Yard Line - 20 Rounds
15 Yard Line - 10 Rounds
Submit application to the Texas Department of Public Safety's Handgun Licensing Program.
Our course fee might be higher than some others. As the old saying goes "you get what you pay for". This holds true with our training courses. If you want the best instruction you've come to the right place. We have developed a training course that is delivered in a way to make it easy to retain and fun to learn.
* Contact us for a combo price on LTC Defensive Pistol and LTC certification course!
** LEO/Military Discounts
*** Loaner Weapons are available but limited
**** Ammunition may be available for purchase, contact us