The TCOLE Firearms Instructor course #2222
Make sure you practice the TCOLE Firearms Instructor qualification before you arrive at the course. It is not hard but it can be frustrating if you are not use to shooting it. Instructors should also be familiar with the shotgun as there is a shotgun qualification also. Both qualifications are state mandated and designed by TCOLE.
Once you've completed the TCOLE Basic Instructor Course you are ready for the Firearms Instructor Course. Most Firearms Instructor Courses give you the basic information to satisfy the TCOLE minimum standards. This course will go into students behaviors, shooters who have shut down and have a passive aggressive attitude to instruction. We will teach you how to address and successfully deal with those students so they can be productive in a class environment.We will teach you how to diagnose and analyze shooter errors and the corrections needed to fix them. We will develop courses of fire, shooting drills and proficiency qualifications. This course will hammer in the safety component for the instructors as it pertains to running and safe range and firing line.At the completion instructors will be able to develop and implement comprehensive firearms training programs.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Firearms Instructor Course #2222.
Participants must pass the Firearms Instructor Qualifications on the first day of class. There will be no refunds for any candidate dismissed for failure to meet the minimum firearms qualification. (Pistol / Shotgun) 2 attempts to score 90% or higher.
- Hearing protection
- Wrap around eye protection
- Billed cap
- Semi-automatic pistol with three magazines
- .38 or .357 caliber revolver and two-speed loaders (loaners are available)
- Duty belt, flashlight, magazine holder, speed loader pouch and appropriate holsters for the revolver and semi-automatic pistol
- Factory loaded ammunition, 500 rounds for semi-automatic pistol and 20 rounds of revolver ammunition
- 12 gauge police shotgun with ammunition ( 20 rounds of any buck shot and 10 rounds of rifled slug)
- Durable clothes for outdoor range activities including foul weather
- Gun cleaning supplies appropriate for their weapons
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process, and participants in HDCC courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. The course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirement, for example, a field exercise that cannot be missed.
Participants in a TCOLE credit course must complete the class in its entirety to receive TCOLE credit.
- Have already successfully completed the Basic Instructor (TCOLE #1014)
- Applying firearms safety and liability issues
- Designing courses of fire
- Identifying and correcting shooter problems
- Teaching the fundamentals of shooting
- Understanding firing range operations and firearms instructor duties